Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Don't Be a Dummy


Before video games and DVD players…way back in the old days…my brother and I used to put on our own puppet shows and presentations for entertainment.  We would clear out a section of the room and create a mini stage out of blankets, cushions and chairs. We’d prepare a detailed script and took turns being the director. However, no matter what we planned usually ended up as ad-libbed comedy.  We also had a favorite record…a vinyl 45…that we lip-synced to. We rehearsed our routines to “perfection” for hours just because we had so much fun.

Another one of my favorite pastimes was my ventriloquist dummy, Jerry Mahoney. I’d practice and practice trying to talk without moving my lips. I experimented with using visual distraction, while speaking words that were harder to disguise. I learned as much as any 9 year old could about moving the dummy’s mouth and head in human pretense. Of course, to my family, my performances were force fed but they were delighted when I was invited to perform a routine at school. I’m sure all I did that day was tell a few non memorable riddles and jokes, but people were listening. I liked that. Puppets have a way of commanding attention.  And, I think, I liked being in control. If Jerry Mahoney had had a choice, I’m sure he would have preferred speaking on his own behalf. BUT Jerry DIDN’T have a choice. He had to ‘say’ what I told him to. He was an extension of ME. I controlled his every move. His head, his mouth, his impotent dangly arms. He was my PUPPET.

First off, God does NOT want us to be His puppet. He wants us to love Him freely as a child would and choose Him to be our Lord. And even though we might be in total agreement with God’s great plan of redemption, it’s human nature for us to want to be in control. We strive to the point of ulcers to be in control of our destiny, our freedoms, our rights and the remote. Plan your work and work your plan! We want to know that what we plan will turn out exactly as intended. We have even learned to factor in the unpredictable. We use cell phones, email and Facebook for immediate communication. We buy insurance and open savings accounts for financial emergencies. We make lists, carry day planners and install apps that will make our planning easier and more efficient…but yet, are we really in control. Or, are we just making back up plans and causing tension headaches.

There is a freedom for us when someone else is in control. When we were children, we believed in the unseen, we laughed at ourselves, and we didn’t make plans passed what cartoon we wanted to watch after dinner.  I believe it’s time we learn to relax as children do and let go of the script. It’s time we spread our hands in surrender and let Life’s Master Director set the stage. Let Him be concerned about the props, and the characters. It’s time we listen for His cues and enjoy the wild ride of an ad-libbed comedy. Just because it’s fun.

Biblical Reference: Matthew 18:2-4


Jesus called a little child to come to him. He stood the child in front of the followers. Then he said, “The truth is, you must change your thinking and become like little children....The greatest person in God’s kingdom is the one who makes himself humble like this child.

No comments:

Post a Comment